10 with a 10: Gloria Chik
10 with a 10 is a weekly interview series featuring strong women who run their gigs like a boss.
I've posed 10 questions, snapped one Polaroid and put their interviews up every Monday to promote their hustle with a wide community that should know about them.
This week, Gloria Chik, Director of URBANEBLOC, a super fresh corner of the 'net that shells out incredible content on everything from travel and cocktails to technology and relationships. She just landed back in Toronto after a long stint in New York City where she tacked onto her resume working for P. Diddy.
Or Puff Daddy.
Or is it just Sean Combs?
1. What do you do and what does it give to people?
I do a lot of things - write, create, share (maybe overshare, haha). All of it is in hopes of giving people confidence and courage, especially from a woman's perspective.
2. What's a piece of advice you consistently find yourself giving out but find hard to take yourself?
Let Life Happen - I have a tendency to overthink and have anxiety about things I can’t control. There’s only so much you can do to fix your outcome, so let it go, let it flow!
3. How do you rely on others to make you better?
To be honest and open about things that are authentic and real. Too much polish goes on in social media / the online world, so having real conversations that aren’t so pretty are what makes us human and connected.
4. Someone gives you 50 mill. What's the FIRST way your life changes?
I’m off to travel the world and bring the people I love with me.
5. What has compelled you forward more than anything else?
Expression has compelled me forward more than anything else. I’ve always found that what drives me is a need to create, whether written, photo, etc... in a way that shares with people who I think I really am. And that changes over time.
6. Do you like when people ask you, "Where do you want to be in 5 years?”
Nope! Even five months seems to be a healthy projection these days.
I believe in speaking things into existence, when you put it out into the universe in a way that only you can articulate. Sometimes a funny thing happens when those dreams just magically show up (with hard work and preparation, that is).
7. If someone was handed a script of your inner dialogue this week, what would it say?
You can’t be everything to everyone, so focus, keep the path, and stop caring so much about what other people think.
8. Are you spontaneous?
YEAH, WANNA GO EAT COTTON CANDY FOR BREAKFAST?
9. Are you failing differently each time?
I think so, if you fail the same way twice you’re probably do something not-so-good for your soul.
10. Paul Newman or Robert Redford?
Don’t mess with the classics!